5 Foods Rich in Antioxidants
Along with all the other nutrients our body needs it also needs antioxidants. Why should you eat foods high in antioxidants? They fight off free radicals in the body that can cause damage and illness to happen. Isn’t this worth adding these to your daily food intake? Sure it is. What are some of the foods that are high in these antioxidants? Read on to find out.
5 Foods Rich in Antioxidants
1. Blueberries are probably the best known food to contain antioxidants. This fruit keeps the collagen from getting damaged, improves the effectiveness of vitamin C and protects the cardiovascular system. All this is made possible because blueberries contain anthocyanidins, which are antioxidant phytonutrients. These berries are great added to many different dishes or just eaten alone.
2. Red beans have more antioxidants than the wild blueberries. Other beans also provide them, but that is not all the beans offer the body. These are very high in dietary fiber too along with protein. All of these reasons by themselves are great for eating these types of food, but together this means that red beans and other beans are a powerhouse food. Some people complain about gas with beans but that is the fiber at work.
3. Artichokes are full of antioxidants along with other vital nutrients. These vegetables provide both Silymarin and Cynarin two very effective antioxidants that help the liver function better. The artichokes are also a good source for vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, dietary fiber and folate. They have no fat and are very low in calories. Just stay away from dipping them in butter or heavy sauces to have a great low-calorie food that is full of nutrients.
4. Broccoli not only has antioxidants in it but it can help lower your cholesterol. It helps to detox the system too. This vegetable is a great source of vitamin D, vitamin K and vitamin A. These all work to get the level of vitamin D where it should be in the body. All this and the antioxidants too make this vegetable that ideal food to include in a balanced diet. This vegetable can be steamed, put is casseroles or eaten raw.
5. Tomatoes have lycopene in them, which is an effective antioxidant. It protects the cells of the body from being damaged by oxygen. Organically-grown tomatoes have the highest concentration on lycopene in them. They usually have better flavor too. Lycopene has been proven to guard the body against many forms of cancers including prostate cancer. You can find fresh tomatoes, puree, sauce, ketchup, juice and more to get lycopene.
Of course the above foods are just a small sampling of the foods that are high in antioxidants. There are many more that can provide you with these free-radical fighters. You have to eat foods that protect your body from disease to be healthy. The foods with antioxidants do just that. So make sure to get enough portions of these foods in your diet.